Why focus on pregnancy, birth, and postpartum?
- Positive social and educational support during this time can have a tremendous impact on the health and well-being of new mothers and their families.
- Research shows that women who have doula support have fewer complications such as C-sections, lower rates of postpartum depression, and are more likely to breastfeed.
- When a mom receives good support during birth and early postpartum, she’s more likely to attach well to her baby — and this decreases the risk of infant mortality and early child abuse and neglect.
- Parent-child attachment is an essential element in creating a solid foundation that ensures that the child will thrive in his/her learning and readiness for kindergarten and beyond.
Why Open Arms?
Open Arms’ services:
- Reduce medical interventions and the costs of perinatal care.
- Provide education about pregnancy, birth options, breastfeeding, and positive early parenting.
- Increase awareness and personal advocacy skills, which set the stage for new mothers to be empowered, confident, and strong advocates for their children and families.
- Remove barriers by acting as cultural navigators through providing culturally competent links from community to the health care system.